HALAL AND HALAL CERTIFICATION
Halal simply means lawful or permitted. Accordingly, the term halal food means any food that is permitted to be eaten as per Shariah or Islamic Law. Similarly, in the context of other products, e.g. cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, etc., the term halal refers to a product that is permitted for use by Shariah for the intended purpose. By examining a product and its label it is not always possible for the customer to determine whether a product is halal, as it may include unfamiliar or questionable ingredients. Halal certification is the system through which producers assure consumers that their products meet the halal requirements and as such are halal for intended consumption. Halal certification is provided by qualified and experienced third party organizations possessing knowledge of the food science and Shariah requirements for a product to be halal and have expertise for objectively assessing and assuring that a product meets the halal requirements. Once a product is halal certified it will display the halal certification mark of its certifying body to assure customers that the product is halal for intended consumption. It is important for a producer to carefully select the right certifying body for his products.
WHY SHOULD I GET HALAL CERTIFICATION?
A company interested in supplying consumable products to Muslim population of the world, currently estimated at more than 1.6 billion, needs to obtain halal certification. The awareness and demand for certified halal products is growing rapidly in non-Muslim (North America, Europe, Canada, etc.) as well as Muslim countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East, etc.). Accordingly, companies interested in marketing their products internationally need to offer halal certified products. These days an increasing number of halal international trade fairs are being organized all over the world that deal exclusively in halal products. Since entry to and achievement of share in international markets is a long drawn process, Pakistani companies, as well as companies in other countries – even those located in non-Muslim countries, need to get their products halal certified for achieving success in the international halal products market.
MAIN CATEGORIES OF HALAL CERTIFICATION
- Halal Food & Beverages
- Halal Ingredients
- Halal Pharmaceuticals & Nutraceuticals
- Halal Cosmetics
- Halal Food Facilities: Abattoirs, Catering Kitchens, Restaurants, Hotels, Food Manufacturing & Processing Facilities, etc.
A company interested in obtaining halal certification through “Pathway Global” needs to complete a prescribed application form requesting halal supervision and certification furnishing relevant details. Main steps leading to halal certification of a facility by “Pathway Global” follow:
- Expression of interest from company for obtaining halal certification and PATHWAY GLOBAL’s consent.
- Company to provide a list of all the products produced by it.
- Company to provide a complete list of all the raw materials, ingredients, and processes used in the production of all/ each of the products produced at their plant/ facility.
- Identification of products and facilities that the company wants to get halal certified.
- Formal proposal from PATHWAY GLOBAL covering scope and terms for undertaking certification.
- Signing of an agreement by the company with PATHWAY GLOBAL as a token of acceptance of terms for the halal certification and provision of full information and access to PATHWAY GLOBAL for initial and subsequent audit(s)/ inspection(s) of facilities for physical assessments.
- Initial screening, audit & evaluation of the information by PATHWAY GLOBAL and relevant clarifications.
- Physical inspection and audit of the facilities by PATHWAY GLOBAL through prior appointment.
- Issuance of halal certificate by PATHWAY GLOBAL for one year and authorization for use of its logo on labels of certified halal products during currency of the certification.
- Establishment and documentation of the Halal Assurance System (HAS) at the production facility / plant by the company in consultation with PATHWAY GLOBAL including appointment of an internal halal auditor/ coordinator and a team to implement an ongoing Halal Assurance System.
- Submission of six monthly (biannual) report of Halal Assurance System Implementation by the company to PATHWAY GLOBAL during currency of the halal certificate.
WHY PATHWAY GLOBAL HALAL CERTIFICATION?
Following are important considerations that make PATHWAY GLOBAL a preferable choice for achieving halal certification:
- A professionally managed company providing halal certification services of international standard based on SMIIC Shariah guidelines and criteria that have wide international and domestic recognition.
- With its exceptionally strong Shariah Advisory Board comprising well known Mufti’s actively engaged with leading Darul-Ulooms covering a huge repository of Fatawa (Islamic rulings) and Research work, PATHWAY GLOBAL is best equipped to handle the most complex of halal certification, consultancy, and research jobs.
- With the diverse set of expertise of its Directors managing the company operations, PATHWAY GLOBAL offers a wide range of services under one roof covering diverse areas such as Shariah, Standards and Compliances, Quality Assurance & Control, Food Processing, International Marketing/ Trade, Engineering, Environmental Management, etc.
The PATHWAY GLOBAL provides an extended portfolio of Halal related services both domestically as well as on international basis mainly covering the following areas:
- Halal Certification and Halal Audit & Inspection Services for:
- Food, Beverages, and Ingredients
- Pharmaceuticals, Nutraceuticals, and Herbal Products
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
- Logistics and Travel Services
- Tourism and Hospitality Services
- Corporate Halal Training, Orientation, Consumer Education and Awareness
- International Marketing and Promotion of Halal Products & Services
- Procurement and Supply of Halal Products & Services
- Halal Consulting, Research, and Testing Services
Accordingly, PATHWAY GLOBAL’s service portfolio covers the entire spectrum of halal related services being offered under one roof.